World Art Day is celebrated annually on April 15th. It is an international celebration of the fine arts and the role they play in enriching our culture and promoting mutual understanding among people around the world. The day was established in honor of the birthday of Leonardo da Vinci, one of the most famous and influential artists in history.
This day was first proposed by the International Association of Art (IAA/AIAP) in 2011 at their General Assembly held in Guadalajara, Mexico. The proposal was unanimously approved, and since then, the day has been celebrated every year in various ways by art organizations, artists, and art enthusiasts around the world.
Some quotes about World Art Day
- “Art has the power to inspire, to heal, and to transform. On World Art Day, let us celebrate the beauty and diversity of the fine arts, and their ability to enrich our lives and bring us closer together.” – Unknown
- “Art is the language of the soul, and on World Art Day, we celebrate the many voices and expressions of the human spirit.” – Unknown
- “Let us use the power of art to break down barriers and build bridges between cultures and communities. On World Art Day, let us unite in our love for the arts and our shared humanity.” – Unknown
- “Art is not a thing; it is a way of thinking.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “The purpose of art is to make the invisible visible.” – Paul Klee
- “Art is the highest form of hope.” – Gerhard Richter
- “Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.” – Thomas Merton
- “The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection.” – Michelangelo
- “Art is the lie that enables us to realize the truth.” – Pablo Picasso
- “Art is a way of recognizing oneself.” – Louise Bourgeois
The purpose of World Art Day is to promote awareness of the arts, encourage cultural diversity, and foster creativity and innovation. It also seeks to raise awareness of the important role that the arts play in promoting social and economic development, particularly in underserved communities.
On this great day, many cultural institutions, museums, galleries, and art organizations around the world will organize events and exhibitions to celebrate the day. These may include art shows, performances, workshops, and other activities that showcase the diversity and richness of the fine arts.
Overall, World Art Day is a celebration of the power of the arts to inspire, unite, and transform communities, and to promote understanding and appreciation of the world’s many cultures and traditions.
This World Art Day is a timely reminder that art can unite and connect us even in the most difficult of circumstances. Indeed, the power of art to bring people together, to inspire, heal and share, has become increasingly clear during recent conflicts and crises, including COVID-19.